About the Centennial

From its early days in Omaha as Omaha Bible Institute to its transition to Faith Baptist Bible College in Ankeny, Iowa, one thing has remained the same over the last 100 years: a commitment to training men and women for a lifetime of Christian service.

As we embark on our 100th year as an institution, we invite you—our friends, alumni, and students—to celebrate with us as we reflect on a century of God’s faithfulness and press on toward the next 100 years.

 

A Word from our President

In 1893, William Jordan heard Dwight L. Moody speak on the importance of training Christian workers for the ministry.  Much impressed by Moody’s vision, Dr. Jordan desired such a training center west of the Mississippi, and in 1921 founded Omaha Bible Institute in Omaha, Nebraska.  After several name changes as well as a location change from Omaha, Nebraska, to Ankeny, Iowa, in 1967, we are now celebrating a century of God’s faithfulness to Faith Baptist Bible College and Theological Seminary.

Of all the great things God has done for Faith, the greatest has been the work He has done in the hearts of our alumni and how He has used them since they graduated.  Thankfully, the sun never sets on Faith alumni: pastors, missionaries, teachers, nurses, office admins, Christian business leaders, moms and dads who are faithfully serving God and actively involved in their local churches.  Most, if not all, can point back to their time at Faith and comment on how their time here was used by God to prepare them and impact them for the cause of Christ.  Many met their spouse at Faith, were called into vocational ministry at Faith, and built spiritual disciplines that continue to the day.

As we celebrate a century of God’s faithfulness, I pray that God will continue to use and bless Faith for the next 100 years as He has in the past, that we will continue to faithfully prepare and train the next generation to serve God however and wherever that may be, and that we will continue to take the “Word to the World” wherever we are today.

On behalf of Faith Baptist Bible College and Theological Seminary,


Dr. Jim Tillotson

100 Years of Sending the Word to the World

“We do not forget our alumni who have graduated from the Omaha Bible Institute, the Omaha Baptist Bible Institute and the Omaha Baptist Bible College, many of whom are serving the Lord in far-away places. We are grateful to the Lord that your FAITH is spoken of throughout the world.” –The Little Witness, Summer 1967

1921-2021: A Timeline

1920s

  • September 27, 1921: School Opening Address at 7:30 PM
  • September 28, 1921: First day of classes at Omaha Bible Institute at 8:40 AM
  • January 24, 1924: OBI legally incorporated
  • Campus at 1040 Park Avenue in Omaha purchased (1929)

1930s

  • OBI survives The Great Depression
  • OBI graduates its first two students, two young ladies (1936)
  • 13 faculty members. Most were local pastors.

1940s

  • Dr. Jordan resigns as president (1942)
  • Dr. Patten and Miss Nell Malen save school from closing
  • Patten named president
  • Enrollment hits max capacity of 85 students (1949)

1950s

  • OBI becomes a Baptist School (1953)
  • Name change to Omaha Baptist Bible Institute (1953)
  • OBBI given degree-granting status (1957)

 

1960s

  • Name changed to Omaha Baptist Bible College (1960)
  • Board votes to move the campus to Ankeny (1965)
  • Campus moves to Ankeny and changes name to Faith Baptist Bible College. Other names considered were Iowa Baptist Bible College and Midwest Baptist (1967)

1970s

  • Construction of Gray Hall (1970)
  • Construction of Convocation Center (1973)
  • Enrollment reaches all-time high of 631 (1975)

1980s

  • First grad program offered. Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies (1982)
  • Beginning of Faith Baptist Theological Seminary and merger with Denver Baptist Bible College (1986)
  • President Shipp passes away suddenly. Dr. Domokos named president (1987)

1990s

  • Faith enters the digital age with the launch of faith.edu (1996)
  • Faith celebrates 75 years (1996)
  • Groundbreaking for men’s and women’s dormitories (1998)

2000s

  • Women’s residence hall named after Dr. Donald Brong (2005)
  • Men’s residence hall named after Senator Ray Taylor (2005)
  • Nettleton addition ribbon-cutting (2006)

2010s

  • Jim Tillotson named president (2015)
  • Dedication of Shipp Hall Seminary Building (2017)
  • Dedication of Domokos Hall (2019)

2020s

  • 2021: Centennial Celebration

A Century of Godly Leadership

Dr. William H. Jordan, 1921-1942
Rev. Paul Sawtell, 1943-1946, 1947
Dr. John L. Patten, 1947-1965
Dr. David Nettleton, 1965-1980
Dr. Donald Brong, 1980, 1987
Dr. Gordon L. Shipp, 1980-1987
Dr. Robert L. Domokos, 1987-1993
Dr. David R. Boylan, 1993-1994
Dr. Richard W. Houg, 1994-2006
Dr. John Hartog III, 2005-2007
Dr. James D. Maxwell, III, 2007-2013
Dr. Ernest Schmidt, 2014-2015
Dr. Jim Tillotson, 2015 – Present