Be Prepared to Serve – Wherever the Lord Takes You
We are excited to announce a new study option here at FBBC&TS. Faith Abroad offers students a chance to study overseas or in a North American urban center for one of their college semesters. The students continue their coursework at Faith by taking online or blended classes while at the same time experiencing missionary work in a new culture. Faith Abroad will be available to juniors or seniors from any academic program, and it is targeted to launch in spring of 2023.
Why Study Abroad?
Because it gives you an understanding of other cultures.
Our motto at Faith is “With the Word to the World.” To be prepared to take the Word to the World, you need to gain an understanding of other ethnicities, other religions, other languages, and other cultures. What better way to do that than to immerse yourself directly into another culture for a full semester?
Because it stretches you out of your comfort zone.
It can be scary to try new things. But it’s how we learn. Will you struggle with the language barrier? Probably. Will you dislike some of the new foods you eat? Likely. Will you be uncomfortable in a new environment completely surrounded by strangers? Yep. Will you look back on your experience and say it was life-changing? Almost certainly.
Because it is educational.
What better way to combine your classroom learning with real-world experience than studying abroad? You will learn so much about your peers, your world, and yourself. It’s your chance to put your apologetics, anthropology, and evangelism classroom knowledge to the test. It’s where the rubber meets the road.
Because it’s fun!
You get to meet new people, try new foods, and see beautiful places. As our founding president, Dr. William H. Jordan, once said: “Break from the ordinary. Strike for the extraordinary!”
As a Faith Abroad student, you will:
- Learn how to be independent.
- Engage in a cultural experience with a host missionary at least once per month.
- Cultivate intercultural relationships by working with national believers.
- Experience the daily life of a missionary.
- Participate with missionaries in local church ministry and outreach.
- Continue your academic program of study through blended and online courses at FBBC.
- Pursue language acquisition through formal language study one hour per day, five days per week.
- Cooperate in monthly progress reports with the missionary and corresponding program chair at FBBC.
- See the catalog for the full details.
Is studying abroad expensive?
The total cost for tuition is actually less expensive than a semester on campus!*
- Faith’s Online Tuition for 12 credit hours – $ 4,788.00 ($399 per credit hour)
- Online course fees – $140.00-$210.00 ($35 per course)
- Study Abroad Application Fee – $200.00
- Study Abroad Administrative Fee – $250.00**
- Total Approximate Tuition Cost: $5,413.00***
Additional costs may include airfare, traveler’s insurance, room and board expense on the field and more. See the catalog for the full details.
*Institutional aid will not be available because the cost of blended and online classes is already significantly lower than on-campus classes. For traditional fall and spring semester-long programs, current federal financial aid may apply to the cost of the program and possibly state aid for Iowa residents.
**The administrative fee may increase depending on the cost of developing and overseeing the program.
***Price is subject to change.
How do I apply for Faith Abroad?
Read the full details regarding this program, then fill out the application at the bottom of the page.
Faith Abroad Application
Thank you for your interest in Faith Abroad! Please note that before applying for Faith Abroad, you should have discussed this with your pastor and your parents and have their approval.